< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.msquaredt.com/blog/" > M squared T

::

:: M squared T ::

Do you have an M Squared life? Matt does...
:: welcome to M squared T :: bloghome | atom xml feed | e-mail ::
[::..eccentricities..::]
:: The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign [>]
:: fightingillini.com [>]
:: Champaign-Urbana [>]
:: Astronomy Picture of the Day [>]
:: Christian Classics Ethereal Library [>]
:: Perseus Project [>]
:: Intratext Digital Library [>]
:: Rule of St. Benedict [>]
:: The Works of John Donne [>]
:: Oxyrhynchus [>]
:: The Cluetrain Manifesto [>]
:: M.S.S. [>]
:: Atom Enabled [>]
[::..recommended..::]
:: TNIV [>]
:: Allelon [>]
:: Emergent Village [>]
:: Off The Map [>]
:: next-wave [>]
:: the ooze [>]
:: Relevant Magazine [>]
:: vineyard central, Norwood, OH [>]
:: Revised Common Lectionary [>]
:: Nooma [>]
:: Christ-informed Web Link Page [>]
:: Le Monde [>]
:: Evanescence [>]
:: Third Day [>]
[::..mission partners..::]
:: The Baptist Student Foundation at the University of Illinois [>]
:: Urbana Theological Seminary [>]
:: International Ministries [>]
:: Xtreme Team [>]
:: Mission Discovery Teams [>]
:: Matthew's Church, Riga, Latvia [>]
[::..(abbreviated)..::]
[::..blogroll..::]
:: Living Room [>]
:: Kevin Rains [>]
:: Alan Creech [>]
:: Eric Keck [>]
:: Jeremiah Smith [>]
:: Odyssey [>]
:: Steve the New Kind of Christian [>]
[::..shortcuts..::]
:: Yahoo Login - Secure [>]
:: Blogger Login [>]
:: Google Search [>]
[::..recently..::]
[::..on m squared t..::]
:: Never, never, never
:: Is This For Real, Or Is It SPAM?
:: Related to our dinner conversation tonight
:: A window into Spammer Psych
:: In Case You Wanted to Know
:: Nakamais Solis
:: The U2-pod
:: The God-pod
:: Sermon 9 January 2005
:: On My Way
[::..previously..::]
[::..on m squared t..::]
[::.. (c) ..::]
[::.. 2003-2004 ..::]
[::.. M Squared T ..::]

:: Monday, February 07, 2005 ::

Update on Friday's Post

Friday, I posted about an e-mail invitation I received to join a Yahoo! group called "ministersandevangelists."

Yes, indeed, it is real. I only know a few people who talk in the manner of the message I received. I don't think they're in on it. The group has over 2100 members - so it isn't just a joke. As a part of the group agreement, there are several stipulations regarding banned topics, one of which was "King James vs. all other Bible translations."

Hmmm...

This is really not my crowd. I try hard to respect my Christian brothers and sisters who express the faith differently than I do. But I guess I belie my prejudices when I considered it to be an out-and-out joke to begin with.

I have no idea how they got my name. The e-mail address is my private, personal one; it is not the one I use on this website; nor is that address posted anywhere on the Web that I know of.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss for words.


:: Matt 2/07/2005 08:55:00 PM :: permalink :: ::
...
Comments:
So they're saying you can't discuss the different translations? It makes me wonder if they're against the others or they just don't want to deal with the arguements that will ensue.

Are you going to continue your membership?
 
Aimee -

I have withdrawn my membership from the group. I have a number of reasons, but basically the tone and perspective of the group did not fit with what I wanted to spend time doing.

As for the Bible translations, I believe they feel the discussion is too controversial: some people really believe that the King James is the ONLY permissible English translation of the Bible. As a historian and classicist, I could not agree with them.

The King James was good for its time (400 years ago), and still remains classic English literature. However, with continued work in scholarship, discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls in 1947, etc., the newer translations are more reflective of the original text than the King James is.

Nonetheless, there are still many who consider the King James to be the Bible that Jesus himself used, English language notwithstanding, and that the use of any other translation is anathema.

As you may have deduced, the Christians I regularly fellowship with are so far from such discussions they probably don't realize that such things are "controversial" in the least. Their assumptions about such things are different.

Peace in Christ!
 
Post a Comment

[::..Curriculum..::]
[::..for..::]
[::..Christlikeness..::]
:: What is the Curriculum? [>]
[::..Spirituality I..::]
:: Foundational ::
:: The Bible (of course!) [>]
:: The Divine Conspiracy [>]
:: Celebration of Discipline [>]
:: The Spirit of the Disciplines [>]
::
:: Primary Texts ::
:: The Practice of the Presence of God (Image/Doubleday Ed.) [>]
:: or ::
:: The Practice of the Presence of God (Spire Ed.) [>]
:: The Weight of Glory [>]
:: The Way of the Heart [>]
:: Lectio Divina [>]
::
:: Secondary Texts ::
:: The Study of Spirituality [>]
:: Listening Prayer [>]
:: Hearing God [>]
:: The Renovation of the Heart [>]
::
[::..Spirituality II..::]
:: Life Together [>]
:: In progress... check back later [>]
::
[::..Miscellaneous..::]
:: The Connecting Church [>]
::
Truth Laid Bear Ecosystem
This page is powered by 

Blogger. Isn't yours?